DEDICATIONS, PLEDGES, COMMITMENTS. For the past. For my own path. For surprises. For mistakes that worked so well. For tomorrow if I'm there. For the next real thing. Then for carrying it all through whatever is necessary. For following the little god who speaks only to me. --William Stafford
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Geographers, in Afric maps,
With savage pictures fill their gaps,
And o'er unhabitable downs
Place elephants for want of towns.
Naked and manacled
In the back of a Land-Rover
Cannot be convinced of
Mankind's essential goodness.
The men who have done this
Go out to kill
Believing in the mercy of God,
In the music of love.
Humankind moves in a celluloid dream,
Subscribes to pain. When we wake,
Your bruised black limbs
Will have pushed out roots
Watered from your blood.
Black women will prepare them
Black men will eat of them,
And be strong.
- ► 2012 (33)
- PT: Opprobrious Words I was going to sit this on...
- THE PENITENT "Sometimes it is necessary to reteac...
- Diaries I keep diaries in my head at night I writ...
- Rethabile Masilo, @ Poefrika, an awesome poet from...
- CARNIVOROUS FELIDAE Fear follows me like hungry ...
- MINDSCAPE (an excerpt) ... And if the sun should...
- THE BURNING "In Dreams you are never eighty" --Ann...
- Pelicans Imagine 60 miles above Midway The silic...
- AT NINTH & VAN WINKLE Who would understand The s...
- To My Daughter Blood of my blood your name remai...
- Anniversary: Keep Away After forty years Your fa...
- There, high in the tree hangs a paper-wasp nest li...
- WI: A Letter I know a woman lovely in her bones ...
- LITANY FOR A SNOWMAN "I have a problem. Everybody...
- PSALTERY Your hands can smile With touch Your pin...
- What if Never should come again I must get a new ...
- MANZANAR REVISITED Mid-life I discover the girl i...
- POETRY THURSDAY--The Body FLUOROSCOPE "I will ...
- A Letter To Cecil B. DeMille Remember me, Ipana P...
- No Passion Greater Than the Mind No Passion Great...
- Lies in November
- ▼ March (22)
- Joyce Ellen Davis
- 1. In dreams I am often young and thin with long blond hair. 2. In real life I am no longer young, or thin, or blonde. 3. My back hurts. 4. I hate to sleep alone. (Fortunately I don't have to!) 5. My great grandfather had 2 wives at once. 6. I wish I had more self-discipline. (I was once fired from a teaching position in a private school because they said I was "too unstructured and undisciplined." --Who, me??? Naaaahhh....) 7. I do not blame my parents for this. Once, at a parent-teacher conference, the teacher told me my little boy was "spacey." We ALL are, I told her. The whole fan damily is spacey. She thought I was kidding. I wasn't. 8. I used to travel with a theater reperatory company. My parents weren't happy about this. 9. My mother was afraid that I would run off and paint flowers on my cheeks and live in a commune, and grow vegetables. I once smoked pot. ONE TIME. 10. I don't drink or smoke. (Or swear, much. Well, I drink milk, and water, and orange juice, and stuff. Cocoa. I love Pepsi.) 11. Most of my friends are invisible. 12. I am a poet and a writer. All of my writing on these pages is copyrighted. Borrowing (without acknowledgment) is a sin.