DEDICATIONS, PLEDGES, COMMITMENTS. For the past. For my own path. For surprises. For mistakes that worked so well. For tomorrow if I'm there. For the next real thing. Then for carrying it all through whatever is necessary. For following the little god who speaks only to me. --William Stafford
Friday, May 02, 2008
Out there, somewhere
you have real faces, like
or unlike, mine. People
I pass on the street
might be you. They are
all going somewhere. I, too
am going somewhere.
Sometimes our eyes meet
but only for a moment.
Was that you I saw
last month, at the airport
going to Buenos Aires, or Seattle?
Was that you behind me
in line at the supermarket
buying wine and flowers,
oranges from Florida, avocados
Do I know you?
My face is a keyhole.
Your face is a key.
This little glass contains
the world, unlocked
- ► 2012 (33)
- Blessed Be
- Unlovely In His Bones
- LEGENDS AND HEROES There are a hundred paths thro...
- LIES IN NOVEMBER My stone has hands It sleeps in ...
- Why I Love Poetry You know, the number of people...
- ON MURDERING HER HUSBAND IN FRONT OF HIS MISTRESS ...
- They Never Told Me Not To Go There They never to...
- His Mate Their calling voices clash over the grea...
- SOFTBALL Sports is not my long suit, yet somethin...
- Facebook Out there, somewhere you have real faces...
- HANGING OUT THE CLOTHES She wears a straw Sombrer...
- SEEING EVE I once saw a women, Call her Isha, he...
- little david your smooth soft freckled body and t...
- ▼ May (15)
- Joyce Ellen Davis
- 1. In dreams I am often young and thin with long blond hair. 2. In real life I am no longer young, or thin, or blonde. 3. My back hurts. 4. I hate to sleep alone. (Fortunately I don't have to!) 5. My great grandfather had 2 wives at once. 6. I wish I had more self-discipline. (I was once fired from a teaching position in a private school because they said I was "too unstructured and undisciplined." --Who, me??? Naaaahhh....) 7. I do not blame my parents for this. Once, at a parent-teacher conference, the teacher told me my little boy was "spacey." We ALL are, I told her. The whole fan damily is spacey. She thought I was kidding. I wasn't. 8. I used to travel with a theater reperatory company. My parents weren't happy about this. 9. My mother was afraid that I would run off and paint flowers on my cheeks and live in a commune, and grow vegetables. I once smoked pot. ONE TIME. 10. I don't drink or smoke. (Or swear, much. Well, I drink milk, and water, and orange juice, and stuff. Cocoa. I love Pepsi.) 11. Most of my friends are invisible. 12. I am a poet and a writer. All of my writing on these pages is copyrighted. Borrowing (without acknowledgment) is a sin.