DEDICATIONS, PLEDGES, COMMITMENTS. For the past. For my own path. For surprises. For mistakes that worked so well. For tomorrow if I'm there. For the next real thing. Then for carrying it all through whatever is necessary. For following the little god who speaks only to me. --William Stafford
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Unlovely In His Bones
I know a woman lovely in her bones
I know a man unlovely in his bones
by any simple human measures, still
of ill health, with body parts and passions
as rotted as the pistons of an old
Plymouth, yet, sweet in his pure and tender
soul, who would be raised from his sickbed by
angels, sharp-edged but in no great hurry,
spinning on their graceful harpy wings like
falling-down galaxies. He raises his
obscene middle finger toward the coat-rack
in the corner, in the half-light, spinning.
I know how it is, how space flight is a
risky business. I wonder why in a
universe where angels dance with ions
in a hundred visions and revisions,
Prufrock-like, why is this final, deadly
apparition not an angel? Would not
an angel, any angel, even an
unlovely one be better than this per-
verse revolving coat-rack in the corner?
- ► 2012 (33)
- Blessed Be
- Unlovely In His Bones
- LEGENDS AND HEROES There are a hundred paths thro...
- LIES IN NOVEMBER My stone has hands It sleeps in ...
- Why I Love Poetry You know, the number of people...
- ON MURDERING HER HUSBAND IN FRONT OF HIS MISTRESS ...
- They Never Told Me Not To Go There They never to...
- His Mate Their calling voices clash over the grea...
- SOFTBALL Sports is not my long suit, yet somethin...
- Facebook Out there, somewhere you have real faces...
- HANGING OUT THE CLOTHES She wears a straw Sombrer...
- SEEING EVE I once saw a women, Call her Isha, he...
- little david your smooth soft freckled body and t...
- ▼ May (15)
- Joyce Ellen Davis
- 1. In dreams I am often young and thin with long blond hair. 2. In real life I am no longer young, or thin, or blonde. 3. My back hurts. 4. I hate to sleep alone. (Fortunately I don't have to!) 5. My great grandfather had 2 wives at once. 6. I wish I had more self-discipline. (I was once fired from a teaching position in a private school because they said I was "too unstructured and undisciplined." --Who, me??? Naaaahhh....) 7. I do not blame my parents for this. Once, at a parent-teacher conference, the teacher told me my little boy was "spacey." We ALL are, I told her. The whole fan damily is spacey. She thought I was kidding. I wasn't. 8. I used to travel with a theater reperatory company. My parents weren't happy about this. 9. My mother was afraid that I would run off and paint flowers on my cheeks and live in a commune, and grow vegetables. I once smoked pot. ONE TIME. 10. I don't drink or smoke. (Or swear, much. Well, I drink milk, and water, and orange juice, and stuff. Cocoa. I love Pepsi.) 11. Most of my friends are invisible. 12. I am a poet and a writer. All of my writing on these pages is copyrighted. Borrowing (without acknowledgment) is a sin.