DEDICATIONS, PLEDGES, COMMITMENTS. For the past. For my own path. For surprises. For mistakes that worked so well. For tomorrow if I'm there. For the next real thing. Then for carrying it all through whatever is necessary. For following the little god who speaks only to me. --William Stafford
Sunday, May 04, 2008
There are a hundred paths
through the world that are
easier than loving. But
who wants easier?
Wasn't it good, though? Wasn't it good,
all of us there together, awash
in Mr. Richard's California light, awash
in color from your bold hand, wild
as the Day the Yankees Lost the Pennant?
Alive, and racing Kije's Troika through
a white shower of strings and little bells
toward a sky and an ocean as blue
as a Carolina day?
Now you are a prayer, or what a prayer
should be, knowing you may have
closed your eyes, but this is no dream.
It comforts us. The God you met waits.
God--a figure like the sun, a face
of copper, of gold, with the merciful grace
of the little girl in red stockings who also waits
to take your hand. It comforts us
that whatever it Was,
- ► 2012 (33)
- Blessed Be
- Unlovely In His Bones
- LEGENDS AND HEROES There are a hundred paths thro...
- LIES IN NOVEMBER My stone has hands It sleeps in ...
- Why I Love Poetry You know, the number of people...
- ON MURDERING HER HUSBAND IN FRONT OF HIS MISTRESS ...
- They Never Told Me Not To Go There They never to...
- His Mate Their calling voices clash over the grea...
- SOFTBALL Sports is not my long suit, yet somethin...
- Facebook Out there, somewhere you have real faces...
- HANGING OUT THE CLOTHES She wears a straw Sombrer...
- SEEING EVE I once saw a women, Call her Isha, he...
- little david your smooth soft freckled body and t...
- ▼ May (15)
- Joyce Ellen Davis
- 1. In dreams I am often young and thin with long blond hair. 2. In real life I am no longer young, or thin, or blonde. 3. My back hurts. 4. I hate to sleep alone. (Fortunately I don't have to!) 5. My great grandfather had 2 wives at once. 6. I wish I had more self-discipline. (I was once fired from a teaching position in a private school because they said I was "too unstructured and undisciplined." --Who, me??? Naaaahhh....) 7. I do not blame my parents for this. Once, at a parent-teacher conference, the teacher told me my little boy was "spacey." We ALL are, I told her. The whole fan damily is spacey. She thought I was kidding. I wasn't. 8. I used to travel with a theater reperatory company. My parents weren't happy about this. 9. My mother was afraid that I would run off and paint flowers on my cheeks and live in a commune, and grow vegetables. I once smoked pot. ONE TIME. 10. I don't drink or smoke. (Or swear, much. Well, I drink milk, and water, and orange juice, and stuff. Cocoa. I love Pepsi.) 11. Most of my friends are invisible. 12. I am a poet and a writer. All of my writing on these pages is copyrighted. Borrowing (without acknowledgment) is a sin.